Connecticut Technical Education and Career System’s Hairdressing and Cosmetology course breakdown by grade. Each student is required to complete four years of a Career Technical Education program.
|Grade 9||Grade 10||Grade 11||Grade 12|
|3 Credits||3 Credits||3 Credits||3 Credits|
|Exploratory and Introduction to Hairdressing & Cosmetology||Hairdressing & Cosmetology II||Hairdressing & Cosmetology III||
Hairdressing & Cosmetology III
Students can choose to further their education at numerous colleges and universities across the country in order to obtain a two- or four-year degree. Upon graduation from this program, students will be prepared and qualified to work in salons or spas as a State of Connecticut licensed cosmetologist. State licensure exams are offered prior to graduation. Other types of employment include retail cosmetology sales in a variety of settings.
The Hairdressing and Cosmetology program has been involved in project activities, giving back to the community in various settings.
Some of the communities we have worked with include:
- Barnum Elementary School of Bridgeport- Annual drama production assisting with hair and makeup design.
- Senior Citizens – Servicing our senior citizens with haircuts and manicures at the local senior centers
- Building Broken Warriors Foundation- Helping to uplift the homeless community and broken population with complementary haircuts during their annual Warrior Holiday Feast
- The International Institute of Connecticut, Survivor Services Program- This program works with refugees, asylum seekers, asylees, and other foreign-born survivors to empower survivors to heal and regain independence. Our students taught the women various beauty skills such as, braiding, product knowledge and nail services.
Our students are required to earn industry related certifications during their four years of Hairdressing and Cosmetology and are certified in the following areas upon graduation.
- Hairdressing License – State of Connecticut
- Milady Infection Control
- Eyes on Cancer/Skinny on Skin
- Real Career Employability Skills Program
- Color Specific certifications
- RISE Certification
- Industry related certifications of choice